RV

RV

Friday, June 24, 2011

Sugar's Birthday Party

Day: 23
States: 11
Mile: 4852
Location: Oylimpic National Park
We're all getting up when my mom mentions something. "Today is a special day. It is Sugar's Birthday!" Alex and I gave Sugar a birthday rubdown. "June 24th." I confirmed. "Well, we are going up to the mountains today, but we'll have to walk after a certain point because the snow is too thick," My Mom said. "Snow?" I asked. "And Kirk will be on this road?" I asked, motioning myself throwing a snowball. Alex laughed. "His allergies are really bad so he's not going to come," my mom said. I shrugged. We leashed up the dogs, and headed down the snowy path. There were walls of snow. When we came to an intersection, we let the hyper dogs off their leash for a quick bathroom break/run around. Alex and I were behind everybody. When we caught up, I heard something I did not want to. "Where are the dogs?" I wasn't worried at first. They would always run ahead and come straight back. A couple we were walking with shrugged and looked around. We called and called, but they weren't coming back. The couple went on the snow covered trail for a bit to look. They saw Pinta and called her. But where was Sugar? My stomach lurched. They always came back together. Sugar was good about coming back. But getting lost in the woods where there are bears, cougars, and other things was something I didn't want my dog to get into. My mom reported that she thought both of the dogs headed for the trail. We looked around over the trail, but after a while the snow was to thick to pass. We weren't allowed to go off the trail, for my parents didn't want to add a kid to the search list. We decided to split up. Dad and I would wait on the trail and call while Mom and Alex continued on the main road. I called and called. My voice went as loud as it could go. "She probably found her way back to the RV," Dad said reassuringly. I called some more, and we got Pinta to bark. We met up with mom back at the main road. They were empty handed. My dad ran ahead of everybody to see if she went back to the RV. We trudged to the ranger station to report a missing dog. We were telling people to look all the way there. The rangers seemed very sympathetic, and ordered a dispatch. When we got back to RV. I went to the back and cried. I wanted my fuzzy white puppy back. One of less reassuring rangers said. "She'll end up in the pound or eaten by a cougar." The picture of my half eaten sweetie was too disturbing. I cried some more. A ranger tapped on our window. "Hi.We got word that someone saw your dog, and they are going to bring her up," the Ranger said. "Thank you," Mom said. Shortly after, my Dad came in. "Did you hear, George, they found her!" Mom said. "No they didn't. It was a mix up," Dad said grimly. Dad and Alex grabbed the bikes and rode up the main road further. They came back with no dog, but they did have news. "Someone saw her," Alex said. "When we asked her she said it was like fifteen minutes ago." Everybody was talking about Sugar, and I just looked out the window. All of a sudden, I saw a white flash go by our window. "Sugar!" I exclaimed as I ran out the door. I bolted out before she could leave me again. Our sweet girl with muddy paws curved back towards the RV. I hugged her head, and buried my face in her fur. I was so happy. A teenager was panting. "I chased her all the way here," he said. "Thank you so much," we cried. He said his name was Austin. Sugar won't even go near the door now. She was gone for about two hours. Thank you so much Austin!!!! You are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment